Biogas is the name given to methane produced from the anaerobic decomposition of organic waste. Biogas is produced in various processes, such as landfills, wastewater treatment plants (WWTP), and anaerobic digestion (AD) facilities, which are typically fed with food waste or agricultural by-products.
Biogas is used to create renewable energy, either by burning it in a combined heat & power (CHP) engine to create electricity, or via injection into the natural gas grid, where it is normally referred to as biomethane.
Biogas typically contains a range of impurities, which need to be removed from the gas to prevent damage to the CHP, or to generate biomethane of sufficient purity to be suitable for grid injection.
Activated carbon is widely used in the biogas/biomethane industry to remove contaminants such as siloxanes, hydrogen sulfide (H2S) and various VOCs such as limonene.
CPL Activated Carbons is a leading supplier of carbons and services into the renewable energy sector, and has a great deal of experience in helping customers select the right carbons and filters for this complex and varied application.
– For siloxane removal and general VOC abatement we offer virgin carbon pellets, such as Filtracarb® EX64, or our UK-made reactivated product Filtracarb® EXR4
– For the biomethane (gas-to-grid, G2G) industry, where moisture levels must be kept very low, we have developed an ultra-dry version of our regenerated pellet called Filtracarb EXR4-D
– For the removal of odorous and corrosive inorganic acid gases, such as H2S, we have a range of impregnated carbons from our Filtracarb® SA range, the optimum choice being influenced by factors including process conditions and the treatment objective.
– Broad range of Clean-Flo® VOCSorber® mobile carbon filters, ranging from 2m3 and 5m3 mobile units, up to our flagship 30m3 truck-based system.
– Site Services, including carbon/filter installation and spent carbon removal/changeout.
– Reactivation of spent carbons at our UK ‘amber’ regeneration facility.